(5 days long)
Add to calendar
End date: July 29, 2022
KIDS COOKING CAMP | Dirty Apron
This activity occurred in the past and is now expired
KIDS COOKING CAMP | Dirty Apron
Wondering what the Dirty Apron kitchen has in store for budding chefs in 2022? Once again, the cooking school will turn into an action-packed classroom this summer, where teens measure, chop, sift, sauté and eat their way to new found knowledge, skills and attitudes toward food yet again.
During this five-day camp, the young brigade of cooks will be guided through a curriculum designed to include all aspects of cooking and baking. Designed with young learners in mind, kids will be actively engaged in the cooking process, from start to finish.
Using demonstrations and small group stations, children will get hands-on experience cooking with fresh, local ingredients creating dishes from around the world. With brand new meals and recipes being once again featured this year, new participants will be more than welcome while return students will embrace the opportunity to broaden their culinary knowledge and skills.
Our chefs have once again designed a great menu that will be suitable for both - first-time campers, as well as return students looking to expand their culinary knowledge and skill:
- MONDAY - CRISPY, CREAMY & TANGY: Hone your knife skills and learn different cutting and chopping techniques while preparing a creamy mixed Seafood Chowder, along with a refreshing Chicken Caesar salad, where we’ll touch on important basics about butchery, as well as balancing different flavours. Learn to sear a perfectly juicy chicken breast, as well as about the concept of emulsification as you prepare your salad dressing from scratch. And for the sweet finish, learn to make a classic Lemon Panna Cotta with almond crumble and fresh berries.
- TUESDAY - VIVA ITALIA: Today will be the day where you’ll see your culinary masterpieces bake to perfection in the oven! First you’ll learn to make your own -crispy on the outside and soft on the inside- Focaccia Bread, followed by your own Pizza creation, with the dough made-from-scratch, of course. In addition, you’ll be learning to master the art of classic sauce-making, with a beautiful Beef Bolognese as well as a creamy Bechamel sauce. Both sauces will then be put to good use when expertly building and baking a classic Lasagna.
- WEDNESDAY - THE BEST OF STREET FOOD: We are taking our favourite street food dishes and bringing them into our Dirty Apron kitchen, while also focussing on how to plate and present your culinary creations like a seasoned chef! First, you’ll be making your own Chicken & Vegetable Dumplings from scratch, along with a Soy Ginger Dipping Sauce. Next up is a Japanese Okonomiyaki, a savoury and fritter-like Pancake, sure to excite even the pickiest of taste buds. We’ll finish the day with a crowd pleaser: crispy Fish Tacos with quick pickled vegetables and a refreshing Baja cream.
- THURSDAY - ALL DAY BREAKFAST: We love breakfast so much that we’ll use any excuse to eat it all day. On this breakfast day, we’ll be whisking, poaching, and deep-frying to our heart’s content as we create crispy waffles along with a summery berry compote and Vanilla Chantilly cream. Learn to poach the perfect egg and whisk up your own classic Sauce Hollandaise for a satisfying Egg Benedict dish, followed by the ultimate Southern comfort food staple: warm and crispy fruit-filled Hand Pies
- FRIDAY - PASTA, PASTA: Today is -you guessed it- pasta day! Not only will you be making pasta dough and rolling it out in our pasta machines, but you’ll also learn to make two different types of pasta: Butternut Squash Ravioli and hand cut Parpadelle. Both pastas will be enjoyed alongside delicious sauces like brown-butter sage, and Chicken Alfredo sauce. How do we finish our last day of kids camp? With a beautiful and decadent Chocolate Pate, of course!
Tuition for this summer cooking camp includes: instruction, daily recipe book, hands-on cooking with close supervision, snacks and fine dining. All materials and equipment are provided. At the end of the week the young chefs get to take home, you guessed it, their Dirty Apron.
In keeping with current provinicial health guidelines, full vaccination is encouraged but not required for campers. We will be sure to update all registered participants, should there be any applicable guideline changes prior to the start of camp.
Other Available Dates:
Hosted by Dirty Apron
Disclaimer: This is a live activity. While we do our best to monitor content uploaded to and linked from our website, we cannot guarantee the quality, relevance, and suitability of live content. If you spot anything inappropriate, please don’t hesitate to report this activity!
Repeats: Thu, Fri, Sat